First Railway Station in York

The first York railway station was a temporary wooden building on Queen Street outside the walls of the city, opened in 1839 by the York and North Midland Railway. It was succeeded in 1841, inside the walls, by what is now York old railway station.

In due course, the irksome requirement that through trains between London and Newcastle railway station needed to reverse out of the old York station in order to continue their journey necessitated the construction of a new through station outside the walls.